As a company, one of your most important tasks is finding and hiring the best talent for your team....
What a Recession Means for Most Businesses and Their Hiring Strategies
Here are some of the many ways that a recession can impact most businesses and their hiring strategies:
- Reduced Hiring: Under recessionary conditions, businesses are often forced to reduce their hiring activities due to decreased demand for their products and/or services. This may result in a slowdown of recruitment efforts, with fewer new positions being created, and existing positions going unfilled.
- Cost Cutting Measures: In order to survive during a recession (much like our families and households), many businesses will implement cost-cutting measures, including reducing their workforce (often an onslaught of layoffs). Sometimes there are even furloughs, or reductions in hours to reign in costs.
- Shift Towards Hybrid Work: Many businesses are turning to hybrid work as a way to cut costs and remain productive during a recession. Hybrid work allows businesses to reduce their overhead costs, as employees can work from home frequently and avoid the cost of commuting, and other related expenses.
- Increase in Part-Time Hiring: Some businesses may turn to part-time hiring during a recession as a way to reduce their labor costs while still maintaining their workforce. Part-time workers often receive lower pay, fewer benefits, and less job security compared to full-time employees.
- Focus on Essential Workers: During economic downturns, businesses may focus their hiring efforts on essential workers, such as healthcare workers, delivery drivers, and other critical roles. This is because these workers are seen as critical to the functioning of the economy and are therefore less likely to be impacted by layoffs or furloughs.
- Shift Towards Skilled Workers: With many businesses cutting costs during a recession, they may also shift their hiring focus towards skilled workers who can bring added value to the company more immediately than a typical hire. This is because skilled workers are often seen as more efficient and productive, which can help businesses remain competitive during a difficult economic environment.
A recession can have a significant impact on most businesses and their hiring strategies. In order to remain competitive, businesses may need to adjust their hiring activities and focus their efforts on essential workers, skilled workers, and hybrid work. However, with the right approach and a strong focus on cost control, many businesses are able to weather the economic storm and emerge from a recession stronger than ever before. As a Job Seeker, having this insight should empower you to navigate any economic storm wisely, and to also emerge even more resilient and successful than ever.